Wednesday, February 9, 2011

{works like a charm} homemade microwave popcorn

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
The next best thing since microwave popcorn is um...well you know microwave popcorn..except popped in a brown paper bag with a little olive oil and garlic sea salt.

I didn't believe it was true what my sister was trying to tell me so I had to try it for myself. You know what...it worked like a charm.

Reasons why homemade microwave popcorn is better than store bought microwave popcorn:

Tastes better.
Can control what the added ingredients are.
I think it pops better.
Sounds cooler when it is actually popping.

Don't ask me why but making the above discovery brought an immense feeling of joy into my life..does that ever happen to you? For some that joy may come in the form of an afternoon run to happy hour @ Sonic..I know, I've heard all about the special ice and how it makes the fizzies taste so much better.

Thinking about popcorn popping made me think about how sometimes I want to just burst...and then I pray extra hard for the 20th time that day for patience.

Today patience was on my side so when my son started up his "wailing business" I celebrated by taking out the camera. The first pictures were captured of Wellsie in shall we say, not his finest fashion. What ensued after showing him the pictures on the digital screen was a crack of a smile in which I then said, "Wellsie, don't smile". It works like a charm every single time. After that we were able to get some happier pictures. All that aside..do you happen to see how my thrift store belt with the heavy brass buckle and emerald color stone matches my shirt. The shirt was meant to be. Man I don't know why I love that .50 belt so much. In fact I think I am going to work on making a matching brass sculpture to set on my side table in my front room..joke. I can't seem to fit making brass sculptures into my life lately.

Seriously though go make some popcorn in a brown paper bag (or any color paper bag).

1/3 cup popcorn kernals
a little bit of olive oil
salt

Add all of the ingredients to the bag. Fold over the paper bag twice. Place upright in microwave. Every microwave is different but my popcorn is done in 2 minutes 22 seconds..or something like that.

Also, sometimes I pop it plain and then add the salt with melted butter after it's done popping..YUM!

Go, fight, win!

P.S. - Funny story but I bought my little boys Gap sweater at the Dollar Store. I am still a little suspicious as to whether or not it was actually another shopper who left it behind. I didn't see any others like it there and when I asked the clerk she told me that he thought it was for sale and of course for $1.00. So if any of you lost that sweater @ the Dollar Store then call me:-)

22 comments:

Tiffany said...

Who needs happy hour when you have the STICKER? Was that comment for me?? ;)

Annie said...

Liza is brilliant...or rather Allrecipes.com is brilliant. But she's brilliant to pass on this brilliance if you know what I mean. She could hardly contain her excitement the other day when she called me to share this homemade microwave popcorn secret. Thanks Liza!
Teeny, your shirt and belt are really cute. And yes, "don't smile" work on my kids too. I hope it works forever. Wellsie is so daw-gone cute.

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

looks so yummy! moment like this I wish we had a microwave!
And you look stunning as usual Christina! Love your top!
I so need to work on my bursts, I have to keep reminding myself of self control!

Unknown said...

The popcorn look so yummy and hello gorgeous lady!! I adore your blouse and that belt is so so good. I'm working on the control too- the 4 year old tantrums/dog's incessant barking definitely are testing my skills...we're doing random high fives to try and break the madness:)

angela | the painted house said...

ooo, need to try this popcorn.

And, I want that top...and belt, too, while I'm being greedy!

Stephanie Sabbe said...

I am totally going to try this. And you are such a model!! Please tell me how you have time to get yourself that put together with all of those kids:)

Unknown said...

Love love your shirt!

The Waits said...

i am just reading this, and yesterday, i bought a popcorn machine...you know the ones we had a s kids? My 18 month old loved watching it!! <3
-m

lizziefitz said...

I can't wait to try this. Thanks for the tip. Love your top and belt!!!

Jenny at LGN said...

Home girl, I need that shirt. Please tell me it wasn't also thrifted?

Anonymous said...

I had no idea you could make popcorn from a paper bag. I'm feeling what you on this...seriously, so excited to try it!! LOVE your belt!

Full House said...

Jennica of LGN - No the shirt was not thrifted. In fact if there is another one I will buy it for you and send it to NYC ASAP.

Samantha said...

I have never trusted storebought popcorn in a bag (what is that solid stuff in the bottom anyway?)but hate cleaning up the homemade kind. Thanks for the tip.

Danika Herrick said...

How brilliant! I am off to get some brown paper bags, my kids will be thrilled!
I think I need to have more kids. Both you and Erica @ Moth Design look AMAZING w/ 5 kids! In awe.
Danika

bazaarofserendipity said...

LOVE that shirt! you look gorgeous as always!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Love the shirt, too! Um, since I can't ask you to buy me one, can I find out where it's from?

Laura said...

You're one awesome mama.

PS - I'd love your height, figure and beauty for Valentine's Day.

Nuha said...

I love your shirt!! So cute :) And how precious is your son? I'm bet you were so relieved when you figured out how to get him out of his "zone". Have a wonderful weekend, happy valentine's!

Full House said...

bennettwilliams...hey there the shirt is from TJ Maxx. Do you have a TJ close to you?

jonalynn said...

I just love everything about this post. :)

www.turnuptherad.blogspot.com

Christi said...

i discovered this trick in a hotel room one night when i was desperate for popcorn and the pharmacy didn't have any, but they had kernels and a brown paper bag. so i tried it! i agree, it is delicious and so much more fun! i never thought to post about it, great idea! i love that you found your son's sweater at the dollar store! =)

Unknown said...

Okay I cannot wait to try this brilliant popcorn popping idea! Thank you!!!

Plus, the little tidbit at the end about the GAP sweater had me laughing out loud! :)